Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Today I am Thankful, Oops, not Patient...

I was drafting a follow up to my last post. And, I will follow up on it. But, I need to take a break from the analytical and controversial. Yes, there's are about seven enormous white elephants in the country, but sometimes a part of being human is to ignore the Icks and enjoy life. We are the only earthly creatures that experience true happiness, especially happiness that can be separated from our surroundings. So, let's put that into practice.

God is good. He has given us so many things to enjoy and to love.
Gay Issues, Arab Craziness in the Middle East, ObamaCare, Birth Control, Elections, Money, Pain and Pestilence all aside, life, love and God will still continue. In fact, life, love and God will continue even if all those things turn out for the worst. So, let's take a moment and be thankful together for the gifts of heaven, as imperfect as they all are.

Here is my list of 10 things for which I thank my Lord. I'll add here that I am in a completely wretched mood. Being decidedly optimistic is taking so much energy. I would very much like to whine and complain all over your computer screen, but here goes...

 DEAR LORD, I AM THANKFUL FOR...

1. ONE
Love-- I have a husband. I am blissfully in love with the man of my dreams. He is soooooooo patient with me and balances me out in numerous ways. He is pursuing a place in Academia Land. I cannot wait until he's shining with the rest of the stars, like Scott Hahn and von Balthasar. Yes, I believe in him that much.



2. TWO
Babies -- I also have two beautiful daughters: One that fits anyone's description of the 'perfect child' (Cecilia) and one that is less 'perfect,' but almost more lovable (Lucy). You'd have to meet them to understand what I'm talking about. I am also thankful that they are finally beginning to interact without fireworks...



3. THREE 
Sunshine -- It's practically Fall where I am. So, I'd better take a moment and enjoy the sun. It is warm and bright and I may not see much of it this winter.



4. FOUR
Washclothes and Diapers -- I would be a wreck without them, for reasons that include many of the vilest substances, like melted crayon and poop. (Who knew that crayons melt?)
Cecilia in need of a washcloth


5.  FIVE
Cellphone -- The confounded thing has stopped believing in its power cord. AHEM. I am thankful for my cellphone because it allows me to contact friends and family when I am about to have a mental breakdown (provided that the phone decides to function). I am also thankful when it functions.



6.SIX
Bagels and Yogurt -- Because 'Just Eat This' would not be possible without them.


7. SEVEN
Pillows -- Because where else would a potty training child decide to suddenly lose it, thrice?
Lucy is not potty-training, but this was the best picture I had of a babe with pillows.


8. EIGHT
Leggings -- They are like sunshine that you can wear on your legs.



9. NINE
Music -- It blocks out the noise and keeps me potentially focused on what I should be doing...unless it's coming from a plastic lion that has way, way too much battery power.


10. TEN
I am thankful that I made it to ten. This project and my resolve have been slowly breaking down, but that's ok. You'll understand. I almost forgot #10... I thank God that I can still say this prayer and that He still listens even when the imperfection is as bad as this, that He still loves me when I get uglier than this.


What do you thank God for today?




4 comments:

  1. Loved this post. Always gotta remember all that we have to be thankful for admist the shadows of this world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts, Michelle! Jeremy is very blessed. And how could you not know that crayons melt?!? I thought all kids had the experience of crayon melt-art (frying pan + crayons + paper = fun!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder to be thankful for every little thing, we just take too much for granted. Your girls are so beautiful!!! Enjoy every minute, even the stressful ones because I have that sneaking suspicion that God uses especially those to make us grow in holiness and make us better mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed the pictures of your children and your article on being thankful. I have made it a priority in my life. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete